Did you know that there are over 100,000 cases of pet poisoning in the USA every year? These tragic incidents are often caused by household chemicals and substances that are perceived as harmless by humans but can be dangerous or even fatal when consumed by pets. In fact, some of the most serious poisons that can affect your dog are medications and foods that are safe for us to consume.

Call Your New York Veterinary Hospital if Your Dog Eats the Following

Here are a few of the most dangerous household substances that could poison your dog. If you think your dog has eaten any of these substances, it is important to rush them to your New York veterinary hospital immediately.

  • Pain Medication — If your dog has gotten into your anti-inflammatory or pain medication, they could suffer from intestinal or stomach ulcers and kidney failure.
  • Chocolate — You might love to enjoy a chocolate bar, but it contains a substance called methylxanthine which is very harmful for your dog. It can cause vomiting and sometimes even death if your dog ingests a large quantity.
  • Grapes and Raisins — Scientists don’t really understand why, but grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure in your dog. Avoid giving them, even in small numbers.
  • Rodenticides — If you have rat or mouse poison around in your shed or garage, make sure that your dog doesn’t have access to it. Depending on the type, your dog can suffer kidney failure, brain swelling and severe vomiting.
  •  Antifreeze — check your car often for anti-freeze leaks. If your dog licks up antifreeze from a puddle, this can be incredibly harmful to them.

These are just a few of the dangerous substances that can be harmful and even fatal to your dog. For more information about this, talk to your New York veterinary hospital.

Take precautions to keep them away from these materials and if you think your canine friend has been exposed to any of these items take them to your New York veterinary hospital right away.

Font Resize
Text Us